Order of Worship, May 10, 2020

Community United Methodist Church
Quincy, CA
May 10, 2020
Fifth Sunday of Easter


WELCOME EVERYONE!!   We are happy you are here today to worship virtually with us, whether this is your first visit or your church home.  ALL are welcome here!! 

As you worship from the comfort of your home with a cup of coffee or tea and wherever you are worshiping, please participate as fully as you wish, or simply watch and take it all in.
**All Hymns are from the Public Domain

Gathering Music:                                                     For the Beauty of the Earth         
Alice King, Piano; 
Streamed with permission from Lorenz Publishing Co.

Welcome                                                                         Rev. Andrew Davis

Hymn:                    The Church’s One Foundation – UMH 545, vs. 1, 4, 5

         The church’s one foundation, is Jesus Christ her Lord;
         She is his new creation, by water and the Word.
         From heaven he came and sought her, to be his holy bride;
         With his own blood he bought her, and for her life he died.

Mid toil and tribulation, and tumult of her war,
         She waits the consummation of peace forevermore;
         Till, with the vision glorious, her longing eyes are blest,
         And the great church victorious, shall be the church at rest.
         
Yet she on earth hath union with God the Three in One,
         And mystic sweet communion with those whose rest is won,
         O happy ones and holy!  Lord, give us grace that we
         Like them, the meek and lowly, on high may dwell with thee.  

Opening Prayer                                                                                               

Children’s Moment                                                                Grandma Susie

Call to Prayer:                                                     Lead Me, Lord – UMH 473

         Lead me, Lord, lead me in thy righteousness;
         Make my way plain before thy face.
         For it is thou, Lord, Thou, Lord only,
         That makest me dwell in safety.  

Moment of Stillness/Pastoral Prayer:
In between each petition, Pastor Andrew will leave space for you to lift your own prayers. You are invited to respond after each petition with We lift them to you, O Lord

The Lord’s Prayer (Altogether):
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.                              

Solo:                                                                            “The Gift of Love”
                                                                               Angela Elliott, Soloist
                    Streamed with Permission from Hope Publishing Company

Epistle Lesson:                                                                   1 Peter 2: 2-10

Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in scripture:
“See, I am laying in Zion a stone,
    
a cornerstone chosen and precious;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,
“The stone that the builders rejected
    
has become the very head of the corner,”
and
“A stone that makes them stumble,
            
and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
10 Once you were not a people,
         
but now you are God’s people;
once you had not received mercy,
    
but now you have received mercy.
  
Gospel Lesson:                                                                     John 14: 1-14

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. 
How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. 12 Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

The Word of God for the People of God…Thanks be to God!
                                                    
Message:                                       “Chosen & Precious: Like Living Stones”                           


Hymn:                                                            My Hope is Built – UMH 368

1.   My hope is built on nothing less 
than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Refrain:
         On Christ the solid rock I stand, 
all other ground is sinking sand;
         All other ground is sinking sand.  

2.   When darkness veils his lovely face, 
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale, 
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

3.   His oath, his covenant, his blood
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

Refrain

4.   When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in him be found!
Dressed in his righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!

Refrain

Blessing & Sending Forth
  

                                                                 UMC Mission:                                   
To Make Disciples of Jesus Christ For the Transformation of the World

Community UMC Mission: 
We ar e a Christ-centered community, joyfully committed to being His ambassadors.  In the fellowship of His love and grace, we grow in Christ through the study of God’s word, prayer and worship; living out our faith in service to others.

P.O. Box 766, Quincy, CA 95971
Tel/Fax (530)283-1740
email:quincyumc@sbcglobal.net
Church Website: www.quincymethodist.org
Facebook: CommunityUnitedMethodistChurchQuincy

Please mail your tithes/offerings to the church office at the above address and e-mail any prayer requests to the church office or Pastor Andrew.  

Community UMC Office Hours:
Closed until further notice due to COVID-19 Precautions

Rev. Andrew Davis
Pastor Andrew’s E-mail: Andrew.davis@cnumc.org 
Pastor Andrew’s cell phone/pastoral emergencies: 530-238-5723


During the COVID-19 closure, Pastor Andrew is available by phone, e-mail, or text between 10:00am-7:00pm Monday-Thursday and Saturday or can meet via Zoom by appointment.  Pastor Andrew will continue taking Fridays off and will not be available on Fridays except for emergencies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Move...in Love" - Sermon, August 26, 2018

Where Do We Begin? Sermon, July 3, 2016

Lenten Ruminations