Advent Musings Week 1

Hello Out There!!  

It has been well over a year since I've contributed anything to this blog, as I originally used it to post sermons and random musings.  Of course, very little stays the same and as we begin the season of Advent, or the four weeks preceding Christmas, there's no time like now to start writing again. Some of the inspiration to do so is one of my aunts in Wisconsin who has been writing a monthly essay for her church's newsletter about life and faith, and is oftentimes thought-provoking.  When I was in the last semester of seminary, during the season of Lent, I fasted from social media and wrote some reflections in this blog, so this Advent, I am taking a fast from Facebook and hoping to write a musing each week of Advent, and perhaps beyond. 

I have to admit the holidays are always a mixed bag for me, as I have had a love-hate-love relationship with them.  Having grown up around the grocery business and working nine years in it myself, the time from Halloween until New Year's Day gets super busy and often filled with pressure.  Even as a pastor these last six years, the busy-ness begins in August when we start planning the season of Advent and Fall programing (on top of that we have appointment forms/cabinet reports, charge conference stuff, nominations for next year's leadership; stuff I'm not having to deal with as much being an associate pastor right now).  While I love the time with family, as my partner Trevor and I spent with both our families over Thanksgiving, the holidays can be a stressful time as well and sometimes we can feel overwhelmed or disappointed when the holidays don't meet our expectations or things don't go right.  So often, we put high expectations on the holidays and go all out when in fact, simple can be meaningful too, something I have come to value more and more.  

A couple evenings ago, Trevor and I watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation starring Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo, which has become a yearly staple to start the season off.  Since being released in 1989, Christmas Vacation has become a classic Christmas movie, as it pokes fun at the expectations we tend to put on the holidays.  Based on a short story, "Christmas '59" by the late John Hughes, the main character, Clark Griswold has a good heart, but very lofty expectations when he wants to have a "good, old-fashioned family Christmas." Instead of everything being good, everything becomes a disaster with bickering relatives, unexpected guests, lights not coming on, dinner being overcooked, yet still has a happy ending.  How often have we strived to have the perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas, only for everything not to meet our expectations?  

Instead of striving for the perfect holiday, what if we strive for a more meaningful holiday?  Over the years, our family celebrations have become more simple and it's something I find meaningful, as it's about being together, but also reflecting on the blessings of the past year and looking forward to the hope, peace, love, and joy of the coming year.  It's why I enjoy the season of Advent leading up to Christmas, as it can help us to pause, reflect, and take some time away from the hustle and bustle of the season.  What are you hoping for in this season?  As we go about the season, I hope that this will be a meaningful time for you and everyone around you and look forward to interacting in the comments below.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Move...in Love" - Sermon, August 26, 2018

Where Do We Begin? Sermon, July 3, 2016

Lenten Ruminations