Order of Service for May 17, 2020

Community United Methodist Church
Quincy, CA
May 17, 2020
Sixth Sunday of Easter

WELCOME EVERYONE!!   We are happy you are here today to worship virtually with us, whether this is your first visit or your church home.  ALL are welcome here!! 

As you worship from the comfort of your home with a cup of coffee or tea and wherever you are worshiping, please participate as fully as you wish, or simply watch and take it all in.
**All Hymns are from the Public Domain
**All Scriptures from the New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV)

Gathering Music:                                                "How Can I Keep from Singing?"
                                                                                                Alice King, Piano
Streamed with Permission from Lorenz Publishing

Welcome                                                                         Rev. Andrew Davis

Hymn:                                  How Firm a Foundation – UMH 529, vs. 1-4

1.   How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith, in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

2.   Fear not, I am with the O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

3.   When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

4.   When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only desitn
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

Opening Prayer                                                                                               

Children’s Moment                                                                Grandma Susie

Call to Prayer:                                                     Lead Me, Lord – UMH 473

         Lead me, Lord, lead me in thy righteousness;
         Make my way plain before thy face.
         For it is thou, Lord, Thou, Lord only,
         That makest me dwell in safety.  

Moment of Stillness/Pastoral Prayer:
In between each petition, Pastor Andrew will leave space for you to lift your own prayers. You are invited to respond after each petition with We lift them to you, O Lord

The Lord’s Prayer (Altogether):
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.                              

Psalm:                                                                                  Psalm 66: 8-10

Bless our God, O peoples,
    
let the sound of his praise be heard,
who has kept us among the living,
    
and has not let our feet slip.
10 For you, O God, have tested us;
    
you have tried us as silver is tried.
11 You brought us into the net;
    
you laid burdens on our backs;
12 you let people ride over our heads;
    
we went through fire and through water;
yet you have brought us out to a spacious place.
13 I will come into your house with burnt offerings;
    
I will pay you my vows,
14 those that my lips uttered
    
and my mouth promised when I was in trouble.
15 I will offer to you burnt offerings of fatlings,
    
with the smoke of the sacrifice of rams;
I will make an offering of bulls and goats.  Selah
16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
    
and I will tell what he has done for me.
17 I cried aloud to him,
    
and he was extolled with my tongue.
18 If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
    
the Lord would not have listened.
19 But truly God has listened;
    
he has given heed to the words of my prayer.
20 Blessed be God,
    
because he has not rejected my prayer
    
or removed his steadfast love from me.

Gospel Lesson:                                                                   John 14: 15-21

15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. 17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.
18 “I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

The Word of God for the People of God…Thanks be to God!
                                                    
Message:                                               “Chosen & Precious: Come & Hear”     

Questions for Reflection this week:
1.   Where has God been at work in your life this week?
2.   When has God helped you through a difficult time?                        
                
Hymn:                                                 Trust & Obey – UMH 467, vs. 1 & 4

When we walk with the Lord in the light of his word,
What a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will, he abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:
         Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
         To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at his feet,
Or we’ll walk by his side in the way,
What he says we will do, where he sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain  
Blessing & Sending Forth

                                                                 UMC Mission:                                   
To Make Disciples of Jesus Christ For the Transformation of the World

Community UMC Mission: 
We ar e a Christ-centered community, joyfully committed to being His ambassadors.  In the fellowship of His love and grace, we grow in Christ through the study of God’s word, prayer and worship; living out our faith in service to others.

P.O. Box 766, Quincy, CA 95971
Tel/Fax (530)283-1740
email:quincyumc@sbcglobal.net
Church Website: www.quincymethodist.org
Facebook: CommunityUnitedMethodistChurchQuincy

Please mail your tithes/offerings to the church office at the above address and e-mail any prayer requests to the church office or Pastor Andrew.  

Community UMC Office Hours:
Closed until further notice due to COVID-19 Precautions

Rev. Andrew Davis
Pastor Andrew’s E-mail: Andrew.davis@cnumc.org 
Pastor Andrew’s cell phone/pastoral emergencies: 916-769-4637

During the COVID-19 closure, Pastor Andrew is available by phone, e-mail, or text between 10:00am-7:00pm Monday-Thursday and Saturday or can meet via Zoom by appointment.  Pastor Andrew will continue taking Friday off and will not be available on Friday except for emergencies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Move...in Love" - Sermon, August 26, 2018

Where Do We Begin? Sermon, July 3, 2016

Lenten Ruminations