Order of Service, Sunday, April 26, 2020

Community United Methodist Church
Quincy, CA
April 26, 2020
Third Sunday of Easter

WELCOME EVERYONE!!   We are happy you are here today to worship virtually with us, whether this is your first visit or your church home.  ALL are welcome here!! 

As you worship from the comfort of your home with a cup of coffee or tea or wherever you are worshiping, please participate as fully as you wish, or simply watch and take it all in.
**All scripture readings are from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
**All Hymns are from the Public Domain

Welcome                                                                                                             Rev. Andrew Davis

Hymn:                                                                       Open My Eyes, That I May See – UMH 454

1.     Open my eyes, that I may see glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key that shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for thee, ready my God, thy will to see.
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!


2.     Open my ears, that I may hear voices of truth thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear, everything false shall disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee, ready my God, thy will to see.
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!  

3.     Open my mouth, and let me bear gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare love with the children thus to share.
Silently now I wait for thee, ready my God, thy will to see.
Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!                

Opening Prayer                                                                                                                        

Children’s Moment                                                                                            Susie Grant Steuben

Call to Prayer:                                                                                        Lead Me, Lord – UMH 473

            Lead me, Lord, lead me in thy righteousness;
            Make my way plain before thy face.
            For it is thou, Lord,
            Thou, Lord only,
            That makest me dwell in safety.  

Moment of Stillness/Pastoral Prayer
In between each petition, Pastor Andrew will leave space for you to lift your own prayers…

The Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.                                   
Lesson:                                                                                                                       Luke 24: 13-35
13 Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, 14 and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them, 16 but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What are you discussing with each other while you walk along?” They stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only stranger in Jerusalem who does not know the things that have taken place there in these days?” 

19 He asked them, “What things?” They replied, “The things about Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and leaders handed him over to be condemned to death and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things took place. 22 Moreover, some women of our group astounded us. They were at the tomb early this morning, 23 and when they did not find his body there, they came back and told us that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said; but they did not see him.” 25 Then he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have declared! 26 Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and then enter into his glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them the things about himself in all the scriptures.
28 As they came near the village to which they were going, he walked ahead as if he were going on. 29 But they urged him strongly, saying, “Stay with us, because it is almost evening and the day is now nearly over.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. 32 They said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?” 33 That same hour they got up and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven and their companions gathered together. 34 They were saying, “The Lord has risen indeed, and he has appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.
                                                                   
Message:                                                                                 “Open Your Eyes and Look Around”                                                        
Hymn:                                                                                          Be Thou My Vision – UMH 451

1.     Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart; 
naught be all else to me, save that thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night, 
waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.                                        

2.     Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word;
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord;
Thou and thou only, first in my heart,
Great God of heaven, my treasure thou art.
3.     Great God of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, what-ever befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.  

Blessing & Sending Forth

                                                                  UMC Mission:                                    
To Make Disciples of Jesus Christ For the Transformation of the World

Community UMC Mission: 
We are a Christ-centered community, joyfully committed to being His ambassadors.  In the fellowship of His love and grace, we grow in Christ through the study of God’s word, prayer and worship; living out our faith in service to others.

P.O. Box 766, Quincy, CA 95971
Tel/Fax (530)283-1740
email:quincyumc@sbcglobal.net
Facebook: CommunityUnitedMethodistChurchQuincy

Please mail your tithes/offerings to the church office at the above address

Community UMC Office Hours:
Closed until further notice due to COVID-19 Precautions

Rev. Andrew Davis
Pastor Andrew’s E-mail: Andrew.m.davis2016@gmail.com
Pastor Andrew’s Phone (call/text)/Pastoral Emergencies: 916-769-4637


During the COVID-19 closure, Pastor Andrew is available by phone, e-mail, or text between 10:00am-5:00pm Monday-Thursday and Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Move...in Love" - Sermon, August 26, 2018

Where Do We Begin? Sermon, July 3, 2016

Lenten Ruminations