Deeper Into the Wilderness we Go

This Lent has been a wondrous time of slowing down, reflecting, fasting, and praying, a new adventure in going deeper spiritually and mentally.  The Daniel Fast has been a mental test considering I love food, but am finding meaning in it in focusing my mind towards God and imagining the Hebrew people in the desert in the exodus from Egypt while being provided with just enough.  I think of those who don't have enough to eat, knowing that many would love to have just the basics of fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts.  And while giving up coffee and any other drink than just water, I think of those who may not have clean water to drink.  It really gets me thinking more about what I have as opposed to what I don't have, given how easy it is to take things for granted.  Although it's also easy to get caught up in what you do have as well.  Even some conversations I've had this week have been humbling too.

While doing something renewing in visiting a couple of art galleries last week, I found myself thinking back to seven and eight years ago when the recession was beginning to grip our nation and realize that the fact I was still working was a blessing despite the many battles I had over scheduling and just not enjoying my work.  Not sure why it came up at that time, but it just did.  Never take it for granted when you hear the phrase "but you have a job" or "you're still working" considering someone who doesn't have what you have would love to be doing what you're doing.  A humbling experience indeed.  It's a trip deeper into the wilderness as we sit at the second Sunday in Lent.  Sometimes, going deep into the wilderness is a good thing, giving oneself a new sense of focus and self-awareness.  It's a chance to reconnect with God, but also reconnect with the world around as well, something I have found by also disconnecting from social media (Facebook and Twitter).  This week should bring some new insights, but also a chance for God sightings too.  So, let's go deeper into the wilderness as we press on in Lent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Move...in Love" - Sermon, August 26, 2018

Where Do We Begin? Sermon, July 3, 2016

November "Adventures" from "The Quincy Quill"